Swami Vivekananda Mahavidyalaya, Government Degree College, is located on the Agartala-Shimna Road in the Mohanpur Sub-division under the West Tripura district.It is only general degree college in the entire Mohanpur sub division with a population of approximately 1.5 lakhs. The college is just 17 K.Ms. away from the capital city, Agartala. The college campus is spread on 24.4 acres of land.
As a part of celebration of 150th Birth Anniversary of great Indian Philosopher, Swami Vivekananda, The Government of Tripura named the College after Swami Vivekananda. It was inaugurated on 4th August 2012 by the Chief Minister of the State, Sri Manik Sarkar. The college has an administrative block and an academic block. The college is affiliated to Tripura University. It began its academic works with introduction of general subjects like-English, Bengali, Political Science, History and Education & Kokborok was added later. In Aug-2014 Bio-Science (Botany, Human Physiology & Zoology) was introduced. Later on Honours was introduced in the three subjects in Botany, Human Physiology and Zoology in 2017.At present Honours/Major is offered in 4 subjects viz. Bengali, Political Science, History and Education. The Government of Tripura has vision for gradual expansion of college.
The college derives its strength from the teachings of Swami Vivekananda, "Learn everything that is good from others, but bring it in, and in your own way adsorb it, do not become others ". The vision of the Mahavidyalaya is to become a model institution having deep rooted traditional values on one hand and global outlook on the other hand.
'Arise, awake, and stop not till the goal is reached' The college thus strives to empower all its students by inculcating discipline, imparting punctuality, enhancing learning potential, emphasizing on acquiring physical & mental strength, developing character and leadership so that they possess a broader outlook towards the society, have humanity and can do selfless and relentless service towards the society for their whole life.
Truly, there is nothing here as pure as knowledge. In time, he who is perfected in yoga finds that in hisown Atman (Bhagavad Gita 4.38). The college endeavours to create an ambience in the campus to develop character, shape personality, social concerns, human rights, gender equality, environmental issues, and inculcate values like ethics and leadership amidst all its students so that they may contribute fruitfully to the Nation Building process.
Jewels of the college:
17 Visually Challenged & 04 Differently abled students are studying in the College.Several of whom have represented the State in National Level Sports & Music.
Titu Gope has competed at National Level in Yoga.
Sourav Das & Animesh Datta has played in Ranji Trophy for the State.
1. CHHARANO BEEJ PRANTARE � Dr. Manju Das
2. Aabaar Natun Kore- Dr. Manju Das.
3. Tumi Ashbe Bale- Dr. Manju Das.
4. Swami Vivekananda: Samaj o Sahittyo- Prof. Jiban Patra.
5. Handbook of MCQ in Human Physiology & Biochemistry- Dr. Manabendra Debnath.
6. Amazing Human facts- Dr. Manabendra Debnath.
7. Development of Pesticides- Dr. Manabendra Debnath.
8. North East before & after Partition- Dr. Nirmal Bhadra & Dr. Bindu Chakma.
1. UGC funded project on studies on the co relationship between IQ & Physical Anthropometry among the School going children (10-12 years)- Dr.Manabendra Debnath.
2. Migration & Socio economic Changes in the Tribal Societies of Tripura (1871 to 1971)- Dr. Nirmal Bhadra
1.The Faculty of this institute has published/ presented about 100 papers in International, National & State Level Seminars/ Symposia/Journals.
Memorable Events of the College:
1. Visit of His Execellency, Kaptan Singh Solanki,The Governor of Tripura on the occasion of Swachchata Hi Seva on 24th September 2018.
2. Visit of Honorable Education Minister of Tripura, Sri Ratan Lal Nath on the occasion of Foundation Day of the College and Nabin Baran on August and September 2018 respectively.
3, Organising School level Biology Quiz Competetion on 13th November.
4. Organising National Seminar on 17 and 18 November 2018.
5. NSS Special Week and NSS Day is celebrated on May and September 2018 respectively.
6. Celebration of College week 2015.
7. Two Blood Donation Camps held on August 2015 and July 2016 respectively.
8. Celebration of Vanamohatsav (tree plantation)- 2014, 2015, 2016,2017& 2018.
9. AIDS Day Rally held on 1st Dec 2015.
10 Parents Teachers Meeting is held every Year.
11.Opening of Vivekananda Study Center.
12.12th January is celebrated as Youth Day in Swami Vivekananda Mahavidyalaya Mohanpur.